1 onion, finely chopped
800g-1kg butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeds removed, diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
750ml vegetable stock
1 cup white wine 250g pearl barley, rinsed
2 sprigs sage leaves picked and finely sliced
salt and black pepper to season
75g parmesan, grated
1. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add 25g of the butter and, once melted, add the onion and squash along with a pinch of salt. Gently fry for 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent and the squash is softening. Add the garlic and continue to cook for two minutes.
2. In a separate pan, warm the stock and half of the sage leaves. Add 25g of the butter to the onion and squash and, once melted, add the pearl barley. Turn up the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn down the heat to medium and add a ladleful of warm stock, followed by half of the white wine.
3. Stir well to mix and, once absorbed, add another ladleful and the rest of the wine stirring now and again. Repeat this process until the stock is used up and the pearl barley is tender (about 30 minutes).
4. Once the barley is tender, taste and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the remaining butter to the pan and stir through.
5. Serve the risotto garnished with the remaining sage and parmesan.